Itty Bitty Log Cabin Quilt Blocks - A New Start

Friday, October 14, 2016

I'm always snapping screenshots from my phone of quilty inspiration I see on Instagram.  Do you do that too?  They're usually pictures that inspire me because of a color palette or because it's a beautiful version of a pattern I want to make someday.  So I started an IG hashtag called #quiltyscreenshots to keep track of all of them and let the makers know they've inspired me!  You're welcome to play along too, if you're on Instagram.  Tag me @gigis_thimble if you decide to do a Scrappy Screenshots post.  Below are some pictures of solids quilts that I posted on there recently that really caught my attention.

Photo credit (using their Instagram names)
From top L to R: @claudiashearerquilts, @jeliquilts, @cabbagequilts, @bitsandbobbins, @adeeholcomb, @adeeholcomb, @tarafaughnan, @tarafaughnan
 

As you can probably see, the second quilt down in the right-hand column really spoke to me.  If you look close you'll notice that the maker, Tricia Royal of Bits and Bobbins had fun playing with color.  I love how she used varying shades of one color in certain areas.  It really gives it a playful "Tetris" feel!  I can't stop looking at it!


With some leftovers I recently acquired from a new "solids" pattern I'm working on, I decided to start a new project inspired by Tricia's quilt.  I decided to go small.  These blocks finish at 3.75".  Since I had a lot of strips already cut and I love paper piecing, I decided to paper piece these little babies.  Some people ask why I would paper piece something so simple?  I just like that I don't have to pre-cut anything with paper piecing!  I just grabbed my strips and my pattern and dove right in!


They whip up in no time!  And I'm having so much fun playing with color!


I have no specific plan of how big I'm going to make this quilt and in what layout I plan to put them in.  But I do know that they're fun to make and I'll try to use up most of my leftover strips!


If you want to sew-along with me, I am attaching the free Itty Bitty Log Cabin Block PDF pattern HERE.  There are two on a page!  Enjoy!

~ Amber  

13 comments:

  1. Very lovely! The colours are so pretty ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these - so sweet. I'll have to add them to my long list and yet, I'd like to make some sooner. Maybe a pillow so it gets done later. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment didn't work so I'll try again. These are so cute! Maybe I'll make a Christmas pillow. Not sure, buy very sweet. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me at screenshot. How do you do this on an iPad in Instagram? There have been numerous things I wish I could save from Instagram but don't know how. Any help greatly appreciated! Great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the ideas you found
    I have a zillion drunkard path pieces, and boxes of beautiful scraps.
    I love your little log cabins

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can certainly see why those colorful ideas inspired you. Wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These tiny log cabin blocks are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These little blocks are adorable--love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely want to try that out.

    Thanks for the tutorials.

    http://games-gameworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to know what you did with these blocks! Love the ease and simpleness of this. Haven't wanted to sew in a while and this has me jumping on my pc to print out the pattern!!

    But please let us all know how you finished this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually ended up giving them to a friend (not sure what she ended up doing with them). I might be regretting that slightly though. I still think that was a cute project and should've kept going. Maybe I'll revisit that idea and start again someday!

      Amber

      Delete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber